“Centrale Idroelettrica Isola” was the first hydroelectric power plant in northern Italy and the largest in Europe at that time. Built in 1907, production began in 1910.
The power plant buildings were enlarged in 1917–18 and modified in some parts in 1929. Annual production was around 180 million kWh. The water used by the Isola power plant was collected and transported to the pools of the Cedegolo power plant where it was reused.
In the second half of the 1960s, construction works began on the “Centrale idroelettrica di San Fiorano”. This completely new facility came into use in the early seventies, which eventually led to the closure of the Isola factory in 1974.